Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Steampunk Quiz and Farming-They Are Not Related

Okay, before I launch into some thoughts from a semi-reluctant farmer, I want to post my steampunk style, according to http://www.helloquizzy.com/tests/the-steampunk-style-test:

My result? The Officer, and I must say that it does sound like me:

http://www.helloquizzy.com/results/the-steampunk-style-test/?var_Playful=-4&var_Adventurous=10&fromCGI=1&var_Technological=3&var_Elegant=6&var_Historical=6
     Anyhow, if you're in to this sort of thing you should check it out.

    But back to my topic. Since this is my first Wednesday, I'll explain a little about my "semi-reluctant" farming situation.
   For anyone who doesn't know, I live in a tiny township (not even a town), in the middle of no where, Western Michigan. There are a lot of trees and rolling hills, which is a good thing. However, the closest gas station is twelve miles away, so running out of gas is a real and present danger.
  I live on my family's farm, where we raise chickens, among other things. Our chickens spend their lives on grass-just like a cow, or sheep-and are moved every single day. We don't feed them anything unnatural, or genetically modified. We also treat them as well as any chicken could be, making sure they have clean, fresh water and feed (a corn, soy, and mineral mixture that we have specially mixed). We process our chicken right on farm, in an officially licensed building (that was an adventure!), with only family members for employees.
  It's very important to know how, where, and by whom your food is grown/raised. Also, I think you should try to buy local, in season, and in your community. Living out here has made it more important me, but I still miss they atmosphere and excitement of the city.
  I like towns. I like cities, and lots of energy, and bright lights. I especially like being able to walk to libraries, stores, and post offices.
  All this aside-I really do appreciate the up-close look at raising animals in a humane, sustainable, and truly natural way. And I meant up close. I have moved my share of "chicken tractors," movable pens that keep chickens corralled and on grass, and I have eviscerated plenty of chickens. I know how much goes into food production and care.
  It's a mixed blessing, living on a working farm. I always get great food, and I've been able to flex my experimental recipe muscles. Chasing cows is great exercise, but it gets tedious. And it can be a bit jarring to be writing an action sequence, and have to hurry down and move a giant, dirty pen in the middle of it!
     As this blog goes on, I'll have recipes, ideas, and stores of strange anecdotes to relate, but for now I just wanted to set the scene.
       Thanks for reading, and here's to another day on the blog, and farm :)

No comments:

Post a Comment