What happened RIGHT after I started: I got a job, and worked about 50 hours right off. Then, I had a custom glove order (Awesome!) that needed attention. And then I got a great book idea and went deep into the abyss of inspiration. This was also good, but intense. So today I am revisiting everything I have neglected in September. It's a long list.
So hello, I'm back.
Shealynn, from Shealynn's Fairy Shop and Blog, kindly featured our work in a wonderful blog post here, where you can enter to win a set of Elven Handflowers, and a $10 gift certificate to VirvatuliDesigns.
Anyhow, another thing I've been behind on is the 30 Day Drawing Challenge I started back in July. I got stuck on Day 6: Favorite Book Character, which is an almost impossible task. After much deliberation, I narrowed my list down to 23 pivotal characters that I loved. Then I decided to draw ALL of them, but as chibi, instead of as full blown out pieces. I selected two of them, one male, one female, to illustrate in Manga/Fusion style, which is, of course, a mixture of Japanese Manga and American/Western art styles. For these two, I selected Sabriel, from Garth Nix's Sabriel, which is one of my favorite books as well.
It's the story of a young school girl who lives next door to an old kingdom filled with magic, among other things. Her father is the Abhorsen, an anti-necromancer, who puts the dead back instead of calling them up. Sabriel receives a message from her father, who is caught in Death (conceived as a giant river, with different gates and levels, sort of like Dante's hell meets the Greek underworld). He sends her his sword and his bells, the tools of the Abhorsen's trade.
Though she's terrified, and worried, Sabriel goes into the Old Kingdom, and encounters one horror after the next on her way to her father. It's a great story, and the characters are awesome. I drew Sabriel just as she is confronting one of the dead.
- Favorite Wizard: Gandalf, from The Lord of the Rings and The Hobbit, by J. R. R. Tolkien
- Favorite Couple: Eowyn and Faramir from the above
- Favorite Elves: Luthien and Nir, the former from the Silmarillion and the latter from In the Coils of the Snake, by Clare Dunkle
- Favorite Drama Queen: Howl from Howl's Moving Castle, by Diana Wynne Jones
- Childhood Favorite: Aerin from The Hero and the Crown, by Robin McKinley
- Current Favorite: Sydney Carton from A Tale of Two Cities
- Favorite Revolutionaries: Enjolras from Les Miserables and Cinna from The Hunger Games
- Favorite Jane Austen Character: Elizabeth Bennet from Pride and Prejudice
- Favorite Dark and Tortured Character: Edmund Dantes from The Count of Monte Cristo
- Favorite Antihero: Mordred from The Book of Mordred, by Vivian Vande Velde
- Favorite Character I Identify With: Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle
- Favorite Assumed Vampire: Silas from The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman
- Favorite Thief: Gen (Eugenides) from The Queen's Thief series, by Megan Whalen Turner
- Favorite Monster Hunter: Europe, Duchess of Naimes, from The Monster Blood Tattoo Series, by D. M. Cornish.
- Favorite "Dreamboat": Corlath, from The Blue Sword, by Robin McKinley
- Favorite "Odd Couple": Artemis and Butler, from the Artemis Fowl Series by Eoin Colfer.
- Favorite Governess: Jane Eyre, from Jane Eyre