Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Top Ten Tuesday: The 10 Authors I've Read the Most

Image Credit: The Broke and the Bookish
No matter which way you worded it, this title was awkward :)

So it's Tuesday, and I had to consult all-knowing Goodreads to have any idea which authors I'd read the most books from (see, such a clunky sentence!)

Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme created and hosted by The Broke and the Bookish. If you'd like to participate, there are details here.

Looking at this list, I realized that I haven't completed any major series since I was a teenager. (I am working my way through the Aubrey-Maturin series, but I intersperse them with other books).

Top 10 Authors I've Read the Most Books From (still sounds off)

1. Shakespeare (37 plays/complete works)


All of the plays, all of the sonnets. And many repeats. Shakespeare is easily my most read author. And I don't care if he's technically a playwright ;)

2. C. S. Lewis (23+)


Counting fiction, nonfiction, philosophy, and academic papers, C. S. Lewis is second only to Shakespeare in the number of works I've read by him. The Chronicles of Narnia are only 7 of those, and I actually prefer Lewis' nonfiction (excepting Till We Have Faces, which is brilliant)

3. Lloyd Alexander (22)


With a whopping twenty-two novels, Lloyd Alexander is my most read novelist. I did not know this until today.

4. Walter Farley (15+)


I can remember at least fifteen distinct Farley novels that I've read. The funny thing is, I was thirteen-ish when I last read anything of his!

5. Robin McKinley (15)

Quote is from Pegasus

She's one of my all-time favorites, and I've read almost everything she's written. I follow her blog. And I'd really like to read Pegasus II, if she finishes it. I first read The Hero and the Crown at 12, and I wanted to be Aerin.

6. Garth Nix (14)

French edition = incredible artwork

Again, I haven't read everything, but I've read most of his books. We've all seem my blowing the Abhorsen horn (maybe that should be, "ringing its bells")

7. Patricia C. Wrede (14)


Another author that I really enjoy, but I haven't completed her whole catalog.

8. Gail Carson Levine (11)


Ella Enchanted got me hooked on her writing, but The Two Princesses of Bamarre is my favorite (and it's one of my all-time favorite books). 

9. Eoin Colfer (11)

http://artemis-fowl-group.deviantart.com/art/Artemis-Fowl-367747140
PERFECTION - This art is by germanmissiles (who is the artist and copyright holder)

I love Artemis Fowl, but I've also read Colfer's other MG novels. His sense of humor is priceless, and their some of my favorite recommendations for boys who don't really want to read.

10. Four Way Tie: Charles Dickens (9), Sherwood Smith (9), Diana Wynne Jones (9), and Neil Gaiman (9)

Yes, I know there are five of them. I just liked the gif.

This is a funny group. Neil Gaiman will soon move up, as I only have a couple of his books that I haven't read. (And if you count Sandman comics, I've read a lot more than 9 Gaiman titles). I decided to ignore the double digit volumes of manga or comic books, because that would be tedious and take forever. Traditional print books only ;)

BONUS:

Manga I've read the most volumes of: Claymore, by Norihiro Yagi (23 volumes). 
Most read comic book author: Ed Brubaker

So who are your top read authors? Did they surprise you? Do you binge read an author's entire collection, or do you work them in around other books?

No comments:

Post a Comment