Wednesday, September 2, 2015

August Wrap-Up Post, Some Art, and Shingeki no Kyojin

Image Credit

It's time for the Monthly Rewind link up, hosted by Nicole @ Feed Your Fiction Addiction (a great book blog that you should check out). Nicole also has some great tips on how to participate/ideas on what to include here.


Just like July, August flew past. I looked back through my posts, expecting there to be precious few. Instead, I was pleasantly surprised. 12 posts is pretty good for me - with my intense workload, so I'm quite happy about it.

Again, though I have been reading a lot, I haven't had the chance to catch up on reviews (or sometimes, the inclination. It's hard to keep up review mojo when you aren't liking anything you are reading!

And any other spare time I had was eaten by Titans. Not kidding.

http://www.zerochan.net/1860242
Art Copyright - PriyoNewvKy

I first caught wind of the manga/anime sensation Attack on Titan/Shingeki no Kyojin a year or so ago. It was recommended to me because I like the (similar but not nearly as popular) Claymore, and so I checked out the first couple chapters. I quickly realized that I shouldn't go near it until there were a few more chapters, and then episodes. I hate waiting for that sort of thing to come out! Nevertheless, I finally watched the first season of the anime (since there is a whole season), and I am waiting very impatiently for Chapter 73 to come out (and be translated by wonderful human beings). I am actually someone who loves it when something they like becomes popular (Survey Corps stuff you don't have to buy from Japan!! Fan art! People who understand!), so I am excited that the SnK rise is on.



If you are interested, here's the official synopsis (thanks Goodreads!):
In this post-apocalytpic sci-fi story, humanity has been devastated by the bizarre, giant humanoids known as the Titans. Little is known about where they came from or why they are bent on consuming mankind. Seemingly unintelligent, they have roamed the world for years, killing everyone they see. For the past century, what's left of man has hidden in a giant, three-walled city. People believe their 100-meter-high walls will protect them from the Titans, but the sudden appearance of an immense Titan is about to change everything.
  Of course, what that doesn't tell you is that SnK is a story about a group of scrappy teenage soldiers and generally strange people (somewhat reminiscent of Les Mis' Barricade boys) fighting for survival in a world where humanity is almost extinct (Walking Dead comparisons = pretty accurate). The Titans (terrifying naked giants that eat people) rule the earth, but humanity is fighting back and trying to understand why it all happened. And the anime is one of the most beautiful things (despite the high grossout factor) I have ever seen. Honestly, it's reminiscent of Princess Mononoke.

A word to the wise: Reports of the bloody violence are not exaggerated. The story is great (and the anime is gorgeous), but like Claymore, SnK is not for everyone. Just because it's animated doesn't mean it's punch is softened (on the contrary, the futility of the battle, and the likability of everyone involved, makes the violence hit harder). There are also minor adult themes, some crude humor, and PG-13 language.

Overall Ratings:

Art: Anime-5 out of 5 stars. Manga-3.5 out of 5
Plot: 4 out of 5 stars
Characters: 5 out of 5*
Story: 4 out of 5
Music: 4 out of 5
Originality: 3.5 out of 5


 I am still working my way through the rest of Naruto as well. Have some fan art (artist unknown):
Artist Unknown
I don't know who the artist is-so if anyone knows please tell me!

 

And if you missed one of my posts (or my awesome writing news), check out the links below. And there's more art:

  • Most importantly, I am going to be a published novelist (next year!)

August has also been a good month for a few more reasons. I introduced my upcoming novel (Summer 2016!!!) Knight of the Blue Surcoat. I am super excited about this milestone, and I did a character feature on the protagonist, Melora, daughter of King Arthur and Queen Guinevere.

Stay tuned in September for a companion post about my secondary protagonist, Orlando of Thessaly, and more. In the meantime, here are two rough sketches of Melora (hair cropped for adventuring!) and Orlando. I plan on coloring them eventually (therapeutic!)
The Scanner did a number on her eye . . .
My favorite part of this picture is the smirk. Aaaand, that's the hardest part to see!

  • More about my current WIP, The Last Coffee Shop, and my MC's friends
In the always delightful Beautiful People meme, I explored Mads' relationship with her two best friends.

  • I managed one tag and 2(!) Liebster posts - Thanks guys!
Liebster 1 came from Sara Letourneau - she had some great questions (but they made me think for a long time before I posted, which was a good thing!) The easy one? My favorite season.

Liebster 2 was from Paein and Ms4Tune - who also had some brain twisters. I also thought very deeply about why I would want to be Morgan Le Fay. Regardless, it was a ton of fun, and I was honored :)

E. Rawls tagged me for a fun 5 minute writing prompt, which also challenged me. It was hard to write without going back before posting. Her prompt was Underwater World, and it was great! )


    • I waxed philosophical about the great YA versus Adult novels smackdown If you ever wondered where a 26 year old novelist and bookseller fell in the divide, you can check that post out here.


    • TOP TEN TUESDAYS! Where my opinions and gif collection are aired.

    The fairytales I want to see retold. They are pretty strange ones.
    The authors I have read the most titles by (three are Australian)
    The authors I will always buy - no matter what they are writing.


    Speaking of fairytales, look at this amazing genderbent Snow White art by Jon-Lock (deviantart.com)!

    http://jon-lock.deviantart.com/art/Sleeping-Death-403391951
    Copyright Jon-Lock 2015

     And this incredible Mulan and Shang fanart by Lanzenritter and colored by chugulle (deviantart.com)

    http://chugulle.deviantart.com/art/mulan-and-shang-119169622
    Image Source Here
    • And sadly, I only managed one book review. 

    But it was for two books, so that counts for something, right? Moribito books 1 and 2. Great reads if you are into Asian (especially Japanese) culture.

    Still, August was an awesome month. September should be fun though. And there's always Hobbit Day! If you like the fanart above, you can find more like it on my "Favorite Characters" Pinterest board.

    So how was your month? Productive, or not so much?


    And I'll leave you with this ridiculous video that I have watched too many times. Warning, it may scar you for life, or make you sob with laughter. And it probably won't make sense unless you are familiar with SnK/Attack on Titan.

    Footnotes:

    *Jean, in particular, is that character we all need in anything dystopian/post-apoc/young soldiers/ahem, Mockingjay!/etc. I love how he is terrified, selfish, and whiny at first, and his character progression. (Hint: he is still terrified and selfish, lol. And so relatable)


      No comments:

      Post a Comment